Wednesday, April 21, 2010

27 hours in a flash

I had my kids for the last 27 hours straight. Minus the time they were at school and when they were asleep. Now I would say that it felt no longer than 6 hours if it wasn't for the exhaustion I am currently feeling. The saying time flies when you are having fun is very overused but, nonetheless it is very true. In the course of our time together we went on a bike ride, visited the toy store, went out to dinner, had a run in with the tickle monster, got visited by the tooth fairy, woke up to a human projectile water fountain, ate chocolate chip banana pancakes, took a bath, watched a movie, practiced our balancing on a new toy, and made patterns with blocks.

"LOOK, LOOK! (hand goes in mouth and proceeds to wiggle a new loose tooth) can you please pull it out?" Camden asks me as I walk in to their house half asleep. Yesterday morning Camden lost her second tooth, less than a week after she lost her first. She was probably half as excited as she was the first time. Her response to the whole event was, "I am going to loose 1 tooth a week now!" Oh the mind of a 5 year old. The kids had plenty of energy so we decided to go on a nice long bike ride through the neighborhood. I have a big Golden Retriever/Great Pyrenees dog, Balou, who Grace loves and insisted we take on our walk with us. She walked him, or shall I say he walked her, while Nick and Cam rode in front of us.

Next we went to the toy store with one of my good friends Steve, who adores and is adored by the kids. It would be wrong to say that I went for them but there's a pretty good chance the adults enjoyed the store as much if not more than the kids. Two hours or so later we left due to the grumble in our stomachs telling us we were starving. Following a delicious dinner at Proto's we had a fun run in with the Tickle Monster (aka Steve).

Today began at 7am, a lot earlier than I would have liked, but Nick was ready to go. Camden woke up about the same time, turned into the human water fountain about 5 minutes later, and then went back to sleep. Apparently she drank her water TOO fast. Lesson learned... hopefully. While half the household slept, Nick and I enjoyed the scrumptious breakfast I made of chocolate chip banana pancakes. Grace finally woke up and in a fantastic mood. She focused for 30+ minutes constructing a creation with tinker toys. Two weeks ago she couldn't do this, apparently she wanted to prove to everyone that she is 2 now and growing up!

Just like that 27 hours had passed, Camden was at school again, Grace was asleep back home with Nick and mom and I was suddenly childless. All of a sudden I was supposed to go from being pulled 10 different directions and responsible for 3 children to being a carefree college student. Yeah right! It's hard for me to realize sometimes but it's becoming easier to go into "mom" mode then leave that mode and enter "carefree" mode. I love them.

Oh and Grace's new phrase: No way. She uses it in the context of me saying "Let's go!" and her replying "No way!"

No comments:

Post a Comment